PREP TIME:1 HOURS 15 MINS
TOTAL TIME:2 HOUR 15 MINS
FOR THE CAKE
Oil, for the pans
3 c. cake flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
Pinch of kosher salt
1 c. whole milk
6 large egg whites
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
4 tsp. granulated sugar
4 tsp. Red liquid food coloring
1 tsp. Almond Extract
1/4 c. apricot jam
FOR THE FROSTING
1/4 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1.Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly oil two 8 1/2-by 4 1/2-inch loaf pans and line with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang on the two long sides; oil the parchment. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg whites and vanilla.
- 2.Using an electric mixer beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3.Reduce the mixer speed to low and alternate adding the flour and milk mixtures. Transfer half the mixture (about 2 1/2 cups) to a bowl and mix in the food coloring. Add the almond extract to the remaining batter in the mixing bowl.
- 4.Transfer each batter to a prepared pan and bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let each cake cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then use the overhangs to transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- 5.Meanwhile, make the frosting. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.
- 6.Heat the jam in a small saucepan until melted, then push through a wire mesh sieve or strainer.
- 7.Cut the rounded tops off each cake and trim all of the sides to remove the brown edges. Cut each cake into two long strips taht are equally tall as wide (about 1 1/4-inch wide; you will have scrap pieces of cake). Using the apricot jam as glue, put the strips of cake together in checkerboard pattern. Spread the cream cheese frosting all over the cake.